Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dining Room Plate Re-Do

About 7 years ago, my mom gave me these plates (below) and holder. I LOVED them and had a rooster theme for my kitchen.
But, gradually my tastes changed and they aren't as much my style any more so I haven't had them up in my kitchen for a while. Yesterday I had an idea about how to change them to fit the theme of our dining room. I saw this idea from a guest blogger on my friend, Nina's blog, about making a canvas wall hanging using book pages and I started thinking about doing something similar for these plates. First, I scrubbed down the plates with hot water, dish soap, and a stiff brush to remove all the built up dust and grease from being in the kitchen for years and dried them thoroughly. Then, using leftover pages from a book I used to make my book wreath, I tore up approx.20 pages (give or take) into little squares and mod podged them onto the rooster plates and brushed mod podge over all of it. I wanted to put some sort of wording on it and figured I would do something simple. The two basic rules of dinner that our kids seem to have the hardest time following. Sit. and Eat. I used the Cricut machine with the Plantin School Book cartridge to cut the letters and then put them on the still wet mod-podged surface of the book pages. Then I brushed it with mod podge again (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that stuff?). Then I just let it dry. That's it. Easy. Free. And now I love my plates again.

5 comments:

  1. SO CUTE! What a great idea and great spin off! I'm going to link up to this on my FB page. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them Stacy, sooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea. glad you could use my tutorial. I am jealous of great yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh when after reading this yesterday that another rooster-cover--up craft showed up in my reader this morning.

    http://www.mybakingdom.com/2011/04/crafty-cupcake-kitchen-craft.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute idea! I am definitely gonna have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete