Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mother's Day Gifts

My daughter's 1st grade teacher asked if I would be willing to come up with a little gift that the kids could make to give to their moms on Mother's Day. I was honored and super excited. I wanted it to be relatively inexpensive and simple so I decided to reuse the HUGE collection of baby jars we have around the house and make tea light candles. I had originally planned on letting the kids etch the word 'mom' onto the jar, but then rejected the idea since that would require letting the kids use the etching cream which can be dangerous and tricky to work with. So, I switched to acrylic paint instead.
I cut out the word "mom" on contact paper using the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge on my Cricut machine. Then I peeled off the back and stuck it on the baby jar, creating a stencil. The kids hot glued the ribbon around the top of the jar and then painted the lettering on the stencil. When it was dry, we peeled off the contact paper and placed the tea light candle inside. Total money spent for 22 candles: around $1 Then we made these candy bar wrappers for their 'sweet' moms which are pretty self explanatory. We put this quote from Abraham Lincoln on the back: Then the kids put both items in a plain white paper lunch bags that they decorated, put two hole-punches on the top, tied them with curly ribbon. It ended up being what I had hoped for: inexpensive, easy, and made the kids excited to have a homemade gift for their moms.

1 comment: