Friday, December 9, 2011

Memory Stars {Ornaments}



Every year, I make my husband a Memory Star as one of his Christmas presents.

It contains words and pictures that summarize that year. We love to pull them out of the Christmas box each year and remember all of the biggest events from each of the years of our marriage. The events include pregnancies as well as births, graduations, moves, family vacations, etc. This year I am making our tenth star.



I buy the stars at Michaels for like $0.50 and paint them all the same shade of yellow. Some of the stars had a predrilled hole. Others I've had to drill myself. The past few have a ribbon simply hot glued to the back. The pictures are done with acrylic paint and the words are mostly done with a Sharpie marker after I've sprayed a clear coat of paint on each painted star to seal it. Some years have a lot of events crammed onto one star while others have just a few- depending on how eventful each year was.




They are really simple and cheap but have become one of our most treasured Christmas momentos.







2 comments:

  1. I love that idea! I am NOT artistic enough to make them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Kiersten said. I couldn't free hand anything like that. The boy still love the little star boxes you painted for them!

    What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete